Exploring the Elements
A graphically stunning, comprehensive introduction to the chemical elements that make up our universe for ages 8-14
This artful and accessible guide to the periodic table — the ultimate reference tool for scientists worldwide — names all 118 chemical elements and helps young readers understand the remarkable ways we have learned to use them.
Graphically stunning layouts feature each element's letter symbol and atomic number, exploring its attributes, characteristics, uses, and interesting stories behind its discovery. Complete with a comprehensive introduction, conclusion, and glossary, this is the perfect introduction to chemistry for inquisitive minds.
Wrapped in a double-sided jacket, with the illustrated periodic table printed on the underside, Exploring the Elements is jam-packed with 240 pages of information, including:
– A comprehensive introduction explaining what elements are and the design and purpose of the periodic table
– Each of the 118 elements is visually presented with its respective letter symbol and atomic number, as well as a map of where it’s located in the periodic table
– Additional details showing where each element is found in the universe (from food on our plates to the center of a star), its unique properties, atomic diagram, secret chemistry, and working examples of how it’s used or changing the world
– Plus an index, glossary and suggested reading and additional references and Resources
Both a gift book and a practical book, Exploring the Elements is for teachers and librarians, parents and grandparents, the home bookshelf and classroom bookshelf, science enthusiasts and budding scientists of all ages.
Size: 203 x 229 mm (8 x 9 in)
Pages: 224 pp
Illustrations: 224 illustrations
Published by Phaidon
About the Author:
Award-winning art director and designer Sara Gillingham created Alpha Bravo Charlie, Boats Are Busy, Seeing Stars and Animals in the Sky with Phaidon. She lives in British Columbia.
Science writer and children's author Isabel Thomas is a winner of the AAAS/Subaru Children's Book Prize and has been shortlisted for the Royal Society Young People's Book Prize, the ASE Science Book of the Year, and the Blue Peter Book Awards.
UPDATED September 7, 2022
Current shipping options
1. Free pickup.
2. Free shipping for orders over $150.00 across Canada and the USA. $15.00 flat rate for an order under $150.00.
All amounts are in Canadian Dollars.
-Instore pick up is FREE
-Free shipping across Canada and USA for orders at or over $150.00 before tax. $15.00 flat rate fee for orders under $150.00.
-USA shipping rates only apply to the contiguous 48 United States of America, excluding Hawaii and Alaska. To be eligible, the order must total $150 or more after discounts and promo codes. Please contact for shipments to Hawaii or Alaska.
-Orders are processed and shipped within 1-3 business days.
-Transit time may vary between 2-7 days depending on the location.
Items can be returned for store credit or exchanged within 14 days from the day of purchase. All returns must be accompanied with the original receipt, unopened and in original packaging. No returns or exchanges on sale or discounted items.